My Ex Illegally Claimed the Kids on Taxes

by | Mar 29, 2021 | Child Support, Family Law Friday | 0 comments

What can I do if my ex claimed the kids on their taxes and it’s my year?

I’m Jaclyn Robertson with JR Law Group and welcome to Family Law Friday.


With tax season upon us, this is a common issue that comes up. The long and short is, don’t stress. You can still claim them if it’s your year.

When you try to submit taxes, and the other party claimed the child(ren), your taxes may bounce back. If this happens, first thing you should do is contact the IRS.

You can call or mail a letter (calling is generally easier – generally being a relative term when dealing with the IRS) and you’ll ultimately most likely need to send in a copy of your Divorce Decree affirming that it is in fact your year to claim the children.

Again, you’re dealing with the IRS so the process may take a while, but ultimately, you’ll still have the benefit of claiming the children.

If you have questions beyond this about your case and would like to schedule a consultation, give us a call. (801) 297-8545

JR Law Group is a Salt Lake City based firm specializing in Divorce and Family Law. For more information call JR Law Group at (801) 297-8545 to schedule an appointment or visit them online at and Instagram: @jrlawgroup.

Join JR Law Group each Friday as we feature a new video covering different aspects of Divorce and Family Law.  Topics range from initial divorce proceedings, to child support and child custody, marital estate and asset distribution, alimony, adoption and more.

Disclaimer – This video is intended for informational purposes only.  Nothing in this video is to be considered as either creating an attorney-client relationship between the viewer and JR Law Group or as rendering of legal advice for any specific matter. Viewers are responsible for obtaining such advice from their own legal counsel. No viewer should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information contained in the video or on JR Law Group’s Website without seeking appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue.

You may also be interested in…

Ten Tips for 50/50 Custody in 2023

Ten Tips for 50/50 Custody in 2023

Divorce is undeniably a challenging experience, and when children are involved, it becomes even more complex. In the ever-evolving landscape of divorce and custody arrangements, navigating the process requires careful consideration and proactive...

read more